Monday, January 24, 2011

The work you started.

I find myself trying reconcile my own sin.  I focus in on myself and that sin and I work really, really hard on bettering myself.  If somehow I could sin one less time I could sleep better or I would then be worthy.  I write lines and lines of words to make sense of my sin and God with very few words paid the debt of my sin. I try to use my broken arms and legs to keep the countless promises I have made to you.  All of those promises broken.  Yet you pull away my self made casts and remind me of your steadfast love.  I try to sing at the top of my lungs, until my voice surrenders and all I am making is a pitiful noise.  You then, in the stillness, take your mercy and you sing this weary soul to sleep.  When I try to build my empire out of gold and silver.  You take those ashes and ruins and you build a city on hill.  A bright and shining light for your glory.  I flood myself until I drown, flailing around naked and lost.  And you pulled me to the shore and clothed me in your righteousness.  Oh, I would spend the rest of my life working out of my own strength to make myself worthy.  I would grow tired and weak and bitter.  But the work has already been done and it was done perfectly.  When I try to rest in these holes I have dug for myself you pull me out of my filth with your loving kindness.  I can rest in your perfect love, perfect forgiveness, perfect grace.  My recovery from sin cannot spring from anything inside of me but from the perfect hope that is Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment